Heart disease is the leading cause of death in both men and women in the United States. It causes 1 in 4 deaths every year. The goal is to prevent 1,000,000 heart attacks and strokes by 2017.
What you can do to raise awareness:
- Spread the word about making small changes
- Use spices instead of salt to season food
- If you issue a newsletter, add a “Healthy Lifestyle” section
- Host a health learning event in your community
- Encourage physical activity at schools and at home
- Gather office personnel for a 20-minute group walk at lunch
- Host a healthy cooking demonstration
- Ask medical professionals to speak to your community about preventing heart disease
- Host a CPR training event
- GET THE WORD OUT!
- Tweet about American Heart Month
High blood pressure is a leading cause of heart disease and stroke. Check your blood pressure regularly and make sure your loved ones check their blood pressure regularly at one of the following:
- Your doctor’s office
- At home using a home blood pressure monitor
Some steps to get high blood pressure under control:
- Set a goal with your doctor to lower your blood pressure
- Take your prescribed blood pressure medicine at the same time every day
- Don’t smoke
- Watch your weight
- Control your cholesterol and blood pressure
- Avoid alcohol, or drink only in moderation
- Get active
- Eat healthy
- Reduce sodium intake
FEBRUARY IS AMERICAN HEART MONTH.
GET THE WORD OUT!