According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), in 2013 the deaths of 2,163 teens ages 16-19 were caused by car accidents. Males age 15-24 accounted for 30% of the total costs of car accident injuries and females accounted for 28% of the total costs.
Six U.S. teens die every day from car accidents.
Teens age 16-19 are three times more likely to be in a fatal car crash than drivers age 20 and older. Male teen drivers and passengers are most at risk, accounting for twice the death rate of females. The risk increases when a teen driver is unsupervised with teen passengers in the car.
Crash risk is particularly high during the first months of a teen obtaining a license.
Teen Driver Risk Factors:
- Underestimating situations or unable to recognize dangerous situations
- Following too close
- Male teenage passengers increase risky driving behavior
- Drinking and driving
- Not wearing a seat belt
Teen drivers need to be aware of EIGHT DANGER ZONES:
- Driver inexperience
- Driving with teen passengers
- Nighttime driving
- Not using seat belts
- Distracted driving
- Drowsy driving
- Reckless driving
- Impaired driving
Prevent teen accidents by using the below proven methods with teens:
- Wear seat belts at all times
- Do not drink and drive – the legal drinking age is 21, enforce the law!
- Use the Graduated Driver Licensing Programs (GDL)
- Provides longer practice periods
- Limits driving under high risk conditions
- Requires more parent participation in their teen learning to drive
GDL programs reduce 38% of injuries and 40% of fatalities amount 16-year old drivers.
If you are the parent of a teen driver, click this link for resources to keep your teen safe: http://www.cdc.gov/parentsarethekey/parents/index.html
Parents are KEY to safe teen drivers –
Take an interest and enforce the rules!
SPREAD THE WORD to other parents –
It only takes a minute to share information that can save a life.
Please keep your teen safe!
If your or someone you know has been injured in a car accident, call us today at 312-375-6524.